Monday, July 18, 2011

The old taxi scam is alive and well

Our trucking business is not the only segment of the transportation industry to be laced with companies pretending to be bona fide. When I was in Minnesota last week – specifically St. Paul – I was reminded there’s CDL fraud everywhere.

I had filed my story on OOIDA v. Minnesota State Patrol, which reported on a hearing held Friday in U.S. District Court. I was ready to leave town, and the hotel where I stayed called me a taxi for the airport. I went out to the curb to wait. The doorman was nearby, but otherwise I was alone.

A Yellow cab drove up and eased to the curb. I picked up my bag – but hold on! An old white Lincoln Town Car careened into the space reserved for taxi pickup, swerved around the Yellow Cab and nosed the Town Car straight onto the concrete apron outside the hotel’s double doors. Yipes! Pointing at me and carrying on like he’d lost his mind, yelling “Ima here first!” out the passenger window.  He was clearly not going to let the Yellow driver get the fare – which was me.

He leapt out of the unmarked Town Car and grabbed my luggage and threw it in his trunk. In seconds, he was pointing me toward the car, which had no stickers, no apparent cab equipment inside on the dash. He was shouting at me, “You go with me! Now!”

I stammered “who the hell are you” or something like that, and he said: “The hotel call me, you go to airport, right? Ima you man. GET IN. Quick!”

The Golden Rule of Travel according to my globe-trottin’ mother kicked in. Never get in a cab that’s not clearly marked. I yelled, “Hold on, give me my suitcase back; I AM NOT GOING WITH YOU!”

By this time, the Yellow cabbie was getting out of his cab. He was a guy who looked like Ice Road Trucker Alex’s twin brother. He bellowed at the bogus cabbie: “You’re listening to the scanner, right? Got any insurance? License? You don’t, do ya?”

The jittery faker jumped back into the old Town Car as if he was going to take off, and I thought “Oh no, there goes my luggage!” Then the Yellow cabbie started writing down the license number. The exasperated phony saw this and got back out of the car, sprung the trunk lid and tossed my luggage back on the sidewalk. I heard him snarling in half English and half some other language for the pissed-off Yellow cabbie or the doorman – who was oddly turning his cheek to this whole incident – not to turn him in.

Thirty seconds later, I was safely loaded into the Yellow cab and off to the airport. On the way, the legit cabbie explained that there was a big problem in the taxi business in the Twin Cities. According to him, gangs of Somalians use the unmarked Town Cars as a bogus taxi or limo service. They listen to the scanner and race to the fare to beat the legitimate cab service.

I later called the hotel and reported the incident. The manager was apparently out of the office and another not-so-helpful person came to the phone. He didn’t write down my name or when I was a guest or anything. The assistant dude didn’t ask for details or even sound too interested. He said he’d pass it on.

I was glad the real CDL holder – the professional cabbie – had my back. Yellow Cab gets points. The hotel doesn’t score so well. Apathy like that is partly what allows these phony baloney scammers to survive … and thrive.

5 comments:

  1. me thinks the doorman maybe called his gypsy cab buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But what about the Hotel? Was it any good?
    You think cabs are cut throat? Try running a tow truck. I get called and some renegade flys past me and snags the call.
    There are laws against that, but most cops wont. All the cops want to do is clear the accident from the roadway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what you said, I believe that the hotel is getting kickbacks from the bogus cabbies. Too bad that you didn't get the license plate number.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what you've said, I believe that the hotel gets kickbacks from the bogus cabbies. Too bad that you didn't get the license number.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that I got it figured out.
    The Somalian driver in the white Lincoln really wanted to be a high ocean ship raider and ransom demander. One big problem, he could not swim and is scared of open seas.
    Next bright idea in his head. He had heard that he could walk on water in St. Paul, Minnesota, not realizing it had to be -15 to do it. He got over here and decided to be a nice, self respecting scam artist in St. Paul in a "skim the other guy" special even as they do in Somalia. Except for the weather, he feels right at home.
    I am so glad that Sandi did not get injured or lose her luggage. The hotel doorman? Even a scam artist can get dressed up on occasion.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.