Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tell my family…

There is little in life more sacred than trying to fulfill the final requests of a dying person – even if that person is a stranger.

Military personnel write letters to loved ones in the event they are killed in the line of duty. Many police officers and firefighters do the same. Those letters connect a family in a way words cannot describe.

In the aftermath of a tragic accident, many times those words of love and caring for family members are uttered to complete strangers – with a simple request, “please tell my family.”

That very situation played out this week at a desolate truck stop in Texas. A dying trucker confided his personal messages to a complete stranger, but nonetheless a fellow trucker.

That request was a heavy burden – but one the Good Samaritan was determined to fulfill. It wasn’t easy. He had no way to track down the family. The company that the victim drove for was far from helpful. Fortunately, after countless calls ending only in frustration, he stumbled onto some folks with the resources to get him in contact with the family.

A man’s last request would be fulfilled – thanks to a lone trucker who stood beside his brother of the road and was good to his word.

6 comments:

  1. I would expect no less from a real Trucker(which this guy is).This is the sort of thing that distinguish Truckers from Drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. That is a real Trucker. There used to be alot of us out here taht cared about each other like we were brothers. But now there are so many steering wheel holders that lack character and morals that are full of hate and anger taht really take the fun of being on the road anymore. I will never stop caring for and helping my fellow trucker on the road. We need to renew our commitment to watch out for each other out here on the road because it is getting very dangerous out here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The family of the young trucker would like to extend their sincerest gratitude to the Good Samaritan.

    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we want to thank all those that were involved with getting my husbands last wish and words to us, he will be greatly missed and continued to be loved, to me the Good Samaritan that was with my husband and stayed with him and passed on his wishes is a hero to all of us. thank you all that had a hand in this. i want to take a moment to tell every driver out there to be safe and put God first in every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is alot of hate & anger on the road---& in the world, I guess. Sometimes it still catches me by surprise when I hear it on the CB. I have observed that it is worse in some areas of the country than others, which puzzles me a bit. Glad this person did the "right thing", I'm sure it meant alot to the trucker's loved ones. One of my bosses had a sign posted that said "Go out and do the right thing". I try to follow that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a story that proves that Truckers are a fellowship of people that will always help each other

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.