Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008: Goodbye, farewell, good riddance

Here it is the last day of 2008. I almost feel obligated to reflect on the past year.

Then again, I’d rather not.

There’s not a lot to look back on and smile. The economy went down the proverbial toilet and took a lot of truckers with it. While the brain trusts had to wait until almost year’s end to call it a full-blown recession, we knew it months before.

Scandal on Wall Street. Mortgage meltdown. Bailout blunders. Consumer confidence hits record low. Unemployment the highest it’s been in years – the list goes on and on.

But, enough. I can’t take any more of even trying to hit the “low” high points.

No matter what all happened, here we are at year’s end a little battered, beaten and bloody. But, many owner-operators – the strong-willed, independent, never-say-die sort that are the backbone of this Association – are still standing.

A new year brings hope and new opportunities to “do things right.”

So, here’s wishing you a 2009 filled with opportunity and success – and let’s put 2008 in the rearview and never look back.

5 comments:

  1. I'll be glad when 2008 is FINALLY
    over with! Then we all can start over with a clean slate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HenryCurtisJames@comcast.netJanuary 1, 2009 at 7:45 AM

    ALL I GOT TO SAY IS, "AMEN!!!!"
    HERE'S TO THE STEADFAST HOPE IT'S GOING TO TAKE TO FACE THIS NEW YEAR OF 2009... AND KNOW THAT I AM STILL HERE AND READY TO ROLL.

    HCJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. I think some of the bailouts will be failouts, and the criminals behind it all should not be jailouts. I'm a poet and didn't know it. I did survive the past year(thank GOD)but I am not looking back. Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.