Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Pete would’ve liked these poems

Truckers lost a champion this weekend and Land Line staff lost a pal. Peter “The Silver Fox” Rigney died Sunday, Oct. 21, 2007.

I never met Pete face-to-face, but I knew his voice well. For the past couple of years I have been Pete’s contact editor at Land Line Magazine – no, I didn’t coach him on his corrective lenses; I communicated with him about deadlines, column topics, etc. Every few weeks we would chat and then like clockwork, his column would appear in my e-mail in box.

Pete always had a story to tell. Pete usually had a joke to tell. Pete never failed to have a kind word to pass along to someone here before we hung up.

In recent months, he had been ribbing me about the Land Line poetry contest. Having been in the publishing business longer than I have been alive, Pete knew what a huge undertaking the management of such a contest was.

When I got the word yesterday morning of his passing, I thought of two of the “honorable mention” winners from our contest. I know Pete would appreciate the humor in “Letter to a Trucker’s Wife,” and I have no doubt that he has gone home just like the driver in “The Logbook” did.

Below are the two poems. After you read them, think of Pete and give The Silver Fox a nod the next time you are driving, as he would say, from Point A to Point B. (To read Sandi Soendker’s tribute to Pete in Land Line’s daily news, click here.)

“Letter to a Trucker’s Wife”
By David R. Madill

It’s time we had a little talk about the one you call your man
I know how much you love him but I’ll steal him if I can
You know even when he’s with you thoughts of me are in his head
But then I’ve heard him call your name when he is in my bed

He calls me his baby and he holds me oh so tight
He whispers secrets to me as we travel through the night
He buys me lots of little things he loves to see me shine
I take him places that you can’t in my bid to make him mine
Don’t try to use your children, you see they like me too
But even when they are with me I know they are missing you
I realize you love him and I wish you lots of luck
Just remember he is also mine, sincerely signed, The Truck

David R. Madill is an owner-operator and long-haul trucker from Westbank, British Columbia, Canada.


“The Logbook”
By David R. Madill

His logbook’s on the table,
his keys are in the drawer,
His truck is parked on the lot,
he won’t need these things no more.
He left us just the other day on a trip we all must make,
To stand before the final court, their judgment he must take.
He will not stand and bow his head, he will hold his head up high,
He will face the final judge and he’ll look him in the eye.
He will not make excuses, he’s not that type of man.
Through his trials and tribulations, he always made a stand.
Yes he made a few mistakes, and for those he will pay the price.
One thing always sustained him, his faith in Jesus Christ.
Someday I hope to join him, how much he loved to drive.
Remember when you judge him, how much he loved to drive.
His logbook is on the table, his keys are in the drawer.
The driver has gone home, he won’t need them any more.

David R. Madill is an owner-operator and long-haul trucker from Westbank, British Columbia, Canada.

1 comment:

  1. Pete was a great writer and to link my name with his is a honor. His humor and wit will be greatly missed.

    I had the pleasure of meeting him several years ago at MATS and I have never forgot him..
    Dave Madill (Bookworm)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.